In high school, the month of June means many things. Although summer is around the corner, this is one of the most stressful time periods for students and educators alike. Exams, projects, university applications, all pile up. It is estimated that 10-20% of Canadian youth (12 – 19) are affected by a mental illness or disorder. This includes anxiety, stress, and depression. The total number of 12-19 year olds in Canada at risk for developing depression is a staggering 3.2 million. The Canadian Safe School Network and YYoga want to encourage high school teachers and students to relax, breathe and restore their mental health during a month long wellness campaign.
Presenting: Crunch time!
For the month of June we’ve created tools to help students de-stress, stay focused, and engage in practices that enhance wellness. The Crunch Time Campaign includes a comprehensive educational resource (in print and online), a series of ‘how-to’ yoga videos, discounts at Yyoga studios, and crunch time yoga events specifically for educators!
Yoga in particular is an invaluable wellness practice. Yoga offers extraordinary benefits to both mind and body and can lead to a healthier, more balanced life. Because of its tremendous value and connection to various aspects of our lives, yoga is woven into each of the 6 main focus areas that comprise the Crunch Time resource.
1. Stress & Burn-out: Learn about how stress affects your body and tips for managing stressful situations.
2. Time Management: Determine what your biggest time wasters are, and set goals to stay on task.
3. Exercise: You know it’s good for your body, but what else can exercise do for you? Find out more.
4. Nutrition: As the old saying goes, ‘You are what you eat’. Learn about which foods can help you to become a more focused and stress-free student.
5. Sleep: Here are some reasons you should be getting more of it, and tips for catching more Zz’s.
6. Mindfulness: What is it, and how can it change your brain? We’ll fill you in on the importance of the present moment and ways to practice getting there.
Each focus area provides explanations, key definitions, fun facts, tips, and points for reflection. Also included are insights into the advantages of yoga as well as short videos to teach you postures and poses that will help guide your practice.
Drop by any YYoga location and menion ‘Crunch Time’ to receive the following fantastic discounts:
Intro discount – YYoga Introductory offer of 30 days for $40.
Educator discount – 15% off of our 5 class pass, 10 class pass and annual pass
YYoga Student offer – $99/month pass for unlimited access to all of our YYoga facilities. (Regular monthly cost for a membership is $120/month)
Stay tuned throughout the month of June as we announce events happening at YYoga studios in Toronto and Vancouver specifically for educators. Based on the Crunch Time Resource, we will present yoga classes featuring poses and techniques related to time management, stress & burn out, sleep, nutrition, and mindfulness, as well as tips on applying yoga and breathing to the classroom setting. We will be announcing details for these summer events soon!
This month, don’t let Crunch Time get you down. Let the Canadian Safe School Network and YYoga help you feel great and perform your best!